As your Hero levels you are granted Ability Points. These Ability Points are then to be spent on Abilities that you later use in combat.
Ability Points by Levelling Edit
You get a grand total of 20 ability points. You get two abilities at level 2, after that you get one ability point every second level until level 30. After that you get one ability point at DK level 25, 50, 75 and finally 100.
Ability Trees Edit
The abilities are divided into different trees or schools that somewhat define them to what they do. Each hero has access to six different trees depending on faction.
Each Ability Tree has five tiers, but all classes do not get access to all tiers. The tiers available are depending on class.
List of Ability trees:
- Darkness (Death Knight, Tier 2; Necromancer, All Tiers)
- Defense (Cleric, Tier 2; Death Knight; All Tiers; Knight, All Tiers; Necromancer, Tier 2)
- Light (Cleric, All Tiers; Knight, Tier 2)
- Necromancy (Death Knight, Tier 3; Necromancer, All Tiers)
- Offense (Cleric, Tier 2; Death Knight; All Tiers; Knight, All Tiers; Necromancer, Tier 2)
- Prime (Cleric, All Tier; Death Knight; Tier 3; Knight, Tier 3; Necromancer, All Tiers)
- Righteousness (Cleric, All Tiers; Knight, Tier 3)
- Warface (Cleric, Tier 2; Death Knight; All Tiers; Knight, All Tiers; Necromancer, Tier 2)
All the varying numbers that are here displayed as calculation, are in the game displayed as integers calculated from your current equipment.
All varying numbers are assumed! The assumption made is that they follow a "Y +/- X * (stat)" system.
The calculations are based on the Improvement percentages given in your character interface. "Magic Abilities +62%" means that the M in the calculations should be replaced by 1.62. "Heroic Support Abilities +152%" means that HS is replaced with 2.52.